When you think of doilies, do you think of your lovely grandmama? Well, with this simple DIY project, we turn this geriatric staple into romantic, shabby chic home or Christmas tree decor!
- A string of clear Christmas lights with white wire (LED is preferred because they don’t give off too much heat)
- Paper doilies
- Scissors or puncher
- Paint or dyes (optional)
- Stretch out your Christmas lights on the floor.
- Cut or punch out a hole in circular doilies. Set aside.
- Lay out your paper doilies and determine what pattern you would like to put them in. You can use different shaped doilies or stick to just one shape. Also consider how far apart you would like to position your doilies.
- Stick a bulb through the hole you punched or through existing holes in the doily cut-outs.
- Secure each doily with tape.
- Drape around your Christmas tree or in other parts of your home, plug in, then switch on your paper doilies and enjoy the romantic atmosphere it creates!
Other things you can do:
- Paint or dye your doilies and let dry before preparing them for use. Pair these with a string of clear Christmas lights to highlight the color.
- Use multi-colored Christmas lights with plain doilies for an alternative effect.
- Use as year-round decorations on your non-Christmas artificial trees.
Tags: christmas ornaments, Christmas tree, Christmas tree lights, Christmas Trees, decor, Decorate, Decorating Your Tree, decoration, DIY, how to, indoor, Year-round artificial trees